As you begin your journey though the Westland District Glacier Country, you will travel though the township of Hokitika. Known as the ‘Cool Little Town’; Hokitika is a vibrant place to visit with its range of tourist shops, from The Gold Room and Jade Factory to its Arts and Craft Galleries. Hokitika is situated on the beach and close to Lake Kaniere. The Hokitika Gorge, known as the ‘Blue Gorge’, with flowing turquoise water surrounded by lush native bush, is a short drive inland from Hokitika.
- Tree Top Walk & Café–An exhilarating treetop adventure among temperate rainforest giants. Experience life with the birds high in the ancient Rimu and Kamahi tree canopy. Receive an exclusive discount if you book through Greymouth i-SITE $5.00 off Entry Price. Enquire Now
Franz Josef is the slightly bigger Glacier Country township with a range of activities to add to your holiday check list, from glacier tours, hot pools, quad biking, horse trekking, to flights and jade carving to list but a few. The Glacier access road is 5kms to the car park area where you can walk the valley floor to view the Glacier.
- West Coast Wildlife Centre- Meet and discover New Zealand’s rarest Kiwi, the Rowi at the West Coast Wildlife Centre. Enjoy a unique and interactive experience that brings together nature, conservation and Wildlife all under one roof! Discounts only available from the Greymouth i-SITE 10% OFF ENTRY 5% OFF ‘Back Stage Pass‘ Enquire Now
- Glacier Country Kayaks – Glide effortlessly across the glassy Lake Mapourika, taking in the stunning views of the unique setting. At the back of the lake your guide will help you navigate your kayaks into the heart of the Okarito Kiwi sanctuary via a narrow bush-clad creek silently paddle past 900-year old trees all to the sound of native Birdsong. Kayak and walk tours also available. Bookings Essential Enquire Now
- Air Safaris- Experience the rainforest and coastal plains of Westland through to the vast snow fields and dramatic icefalls of the Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers, then around Aoraki Mount Cook, Mount Tasman and over the Tasman Glacier. Booking essential Enquire Now
- Franz Josef Glacier Guides- The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gem of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers. The Westcoast Glaciers are treasures, as the glacier falls down into the rainforest. Franz Josef Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, Bookings Essential Enquire Now
Fox Glacier is the smaller of the two townships also offers a full range of accommodation and activities while you are there to add to your Glacier experience, including sky diving, glacier walks, scenic flights and the popular Lake Matheson just 6km from the township. Enjoy breakfast at Matheson Cafe before heading out for a morning walk around the reflective lake. The Fox Glacier is only 6kms drive from the township to the car park where you can complete a valley walk to view the Glacier.
- Skydive Fox Glacier–Fly up to alpine altitudes, around Mount Cook and over the top of the Fox Glacier. Launch into a 65 second freefall with a back drop of the Southern Alps, Glaciers, rainforest and the ocean. Booking essential Enquire Now
- Fox Glacier Guiding–is at 12kms, Fox Glacier is the longest of the awe-inspiring New Zealand West Coast glaciers. This mighty moving river of ice falls 2,600 meters, or a little over 8000ft, on its journey from the base to the Southern Alps to the West Coast. Fox Glacier Guiding offer arrange of Glacier adventures. Enquire Now
Most of all, if you are planning on visiting the Westland District please plan ahead to avoid disappointment.
Bookings are essential during Summer Season Nov- March
Contact Greymouth iSITE
Phone: 0800 GREYMOUTH
View accommodation and activities in the Westland District – Hokitika, Fox Glacier and Franz Josef